Conflicts occur when two (or more) DOIs share the same bibliographic metadata. Conflicts are usually flagged upon deposit. In some situations this doesn't happen, creating a missed conflict.
Reasons a missed conflict may occur:
- Two DOIs are deposited for the same item, but the metadata is slightly different (DOI A deposited with an online publication date of 2011, DOI B deposited with a print publication date of 1972)
- DOIs were deposited with a unique item number: Prior to 2008, DOIs containing unique item numbers (supplied in the <publisher_item> element) were not checked for conflicts. This feature was discontinued because of misuse.
The missed conflict report compares article titles across data for a specified journal or journals.
To retrieve a missed conflict report for a title:
- Locate the title in the browsable title list by searching or browsing
- Select the icon at the far right of the title
- The missed conflict interface will pop up in a second window. Enter your email address in the appropriate field. Multiple title IDs can be included in a single request if needed.
A report will be emailed to the address provided in step 3. This report lists all DOIs with identical article titles that have not been flagged as conflicts.